Monday, January 3, 2011

Pineapple Fiber-New Innovation to
Reduce Organic Waste

Pineapple Fiber
Pineapple Fiber
Pineapple fiber is made from the waste of pineapple fruit that is rich in lignin and cellulose. It is one of the best ways to use organic waste in a productive way. Organic matter is much above to be called as waste because so much can be done even from the leftover portion. Pineapple fibers are mostly combined with polyester or silk to make the silky textile fabric. The pineapple fiber is also called pina. Pina is a Spanish word that means pineapple.

If we see then only 52% of pineapple is used for making jam and the remaining 48% is considered as organic waste. This leftover portion is rich in lignin and cellulose and these content make decomposition quiet hard. This results in pollution and affect environment badly. So there is an option of making pineapple fabric from this.

Most of the pineapple fibers are made from the leaves of pineapple and most commonly used in Philippines. The process of making pineapple fabric involves retting, decortication, combing etc. It generally takes 5-7 days to complete the process of pineapple fiber production. Fibers are quiet sticky so it is difficult to separate these during decortication so lots of chemicals are required. But there is a need to develop more eco friendly technology for pineapple fiber production.

Pineapple Fiber Properties

  • Pineapple fiber is very soft.
  • It has the luster and mostly white or ivory in color.
  • Light in weight.
  • Easy to maintain and care for.
  • Blends with other fabrics very well.
  • Softer than hemp.
  • No need of dry cleaning.
  • Elegant appearance.

History of Pineapple Fiber

Pineapple fiber or Pina cloth is more valuable than gold or silver in Philippines. Manila city in Asia use the Pina fabric in wedding ceremonies. Pina or pineapple fabric is weaved by few weaver making it precious and expensive. It is extensively used to make Barong Tagalong wedding dresses and traditional formal clothes in Philippines. Also table linens, mats and other such things are now made from pineapple fiber. To decorate this fabric in a traditional way Calado embroidery is done. The embroidered pina is then called pina calado.

How to Care for Pineapple Fabric?

  • To wash pineapple fabric take small amount of detergent in warm water.
  • Soak teh fabric in this detergent water. If yellowing of fabric has occurred the soak the pineapple fabric overnight in the water containing small amount of vinegar.
  • Scrub it gently.
  • Rinse it in clean water but do not twist the fabric.
  • Hang it to dry. You can also lay it flat for drying. It will not affect the shape.
  • Iron it on low to medium setting

Re-Introduction of Pineapple Fabric

Most of the pineapple fibers are used to make traditional dresses. But recently the pina fabric has be re-introduced by the top fashion houses who are always in search for something new and innovative. Now consumer have to come forward to support this natural fabric.

No comments: